Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The 100 Best Things of the Decade: 2000 – 2009

The 100 Best Things of the Decade: 2000 – 2009
I can’t believe it is almost 2010.  It seems like just yesterday everyone was rushing to the store to buy bottle water and planning for the millenium.  Remember how people were freaked out the world was going to end?  I think this decade has went faster than any other decade I’ve lived in.  Then again, I’ve [...]

I can’t believe it is almost 2010.  It seems like just yesterday everyone was rushing to the store to buy bottle water and planning for the millenium.  Remember how people were freaked out the world was going to end?  I think this decade has went faster than any other decade I’ve lived in.  Then again, I’ve only made it through 70s, 80s, 90s and now the 00’s.  By the way, is the correct name for this decade the 00’s?  Or is it just the 2000’s?

I thought it would be really cool to list The 100 Best Things of the Decade.  In no particular order:

  1. Michael Jackson’s posthumous come back.  I never thought that he’d have a come back after the sex scandal.  Sad it was after his death.  Even more sad is that his come back has allowed his children’s faces to finally be shown, and gave his brothers their own reality show.  Hey, it is not a perfect world we live in.
  2. Chelsea Handler – She gave us two books, one tv talk show, and she brought midget back.  God bless her.
  3. Arrested Development - It only lasted a few years, but it was the funniest damn tv show that no one was watching.  Without out it, we wouldn’t have Jason Bateman (aka Teen Wolf II) back.
  4. Glee -  I am a proud Gleek, and every week I can’t get enough of those singing kids.  I am not ashamed to admit I have downloaded three Glee songs from iTunes.
  5. 30 Rock – Sure, everyone loves Tina Fey, but I think Alec Baldwin has never been funnier. 
  6. Mad Men The images, the fashion, the drinking, the womanizing, and Don Draper.  Enough said!
  7. Harry Potter - Who doesn’t admire this boy wonder?  I just love the movies (I haven’t even read the books yet, because it will spoil the movies for me.  I know, it’s weird, but it is what I do.) and can’t wait for the last ones, as I think the whole story line is phenomenal.  When I finally begin to read the books I know they will be as fantastic as I’ve heard they are.  
  8. DVR Players – Thank you for being a friend and allowing me never to have to fast forward or rewind tapes again. 
  9. Blogs – Without them how would I be sharing this awesome list with you!
  10. Digital SLR Cameras – This was the decade they became affordable.  I dragged my feet but now I’m in love!
  11. JJ Abrams – Dude, how did I ever live without you and your tv shows? 
  12. LOST - What will I do once you end next May?  I am so sad thinking about finally learning just what the hell the island is.  I’ve enjoyed the speculation more than anything.
  13. Chick Lit - Sure, I love my brit lit, memoirs, literary fiction, non-fiction and classics, but with this fun book genre reading has become just a little more fun.  Can’t get enough. 
  14. Sex and The City OMG, I am such a huge fan of this franchise.  Me and my girls watched this show and had dinner every week, every year it was on.  (Of course I am a Carrie Bradshaw and my Mr. Ghetto is my Mr. Big.)  We got the biggest kick seeing the bridge Big and Carrie were on in Paris when we were on our honeymoon.  I don’t think I know a single person who doesn’t like this show.  The books were decent, the movie was alright, but the tv shows were unbelievable.  What an impact on the decade!  And soon, teenage Carrie books.  Can’t wait.
  15. The Office and The Office -  Loved them both.  So happy “Jam” is finally married!
  16. Laptop computers -  I am in LOVE with my new 17.3 inch laptop that has vision enhancement up to 200%.  I can finally see what the hell I’m typing!  I can’t believe how easy it is to write in bed or while watching tv with it.  Remember the old days of AOL and dial-up?  I just wish I had somewhere to travel with it, the battery lasts five hours. 
  17. The West Wing -  I never watched it until my Political Science Professor used to play it before class.  Now I’m hooked and have to catch the reruns every chance I get. 
  18. Memento – I always say the best movie decade was the 90s (shocking, but true) but this movie was like nothing I’d seen before.  What a way to tell a story.  Bravo!
  19. Jason Bourne Way to get some biceps Matt Damon.  Who knew you’d be the guy who kicked ass on screen.  We all thought it was going to be Ben. 
  20. Augusten Burroughs - This is the decade I discovered the man who had a more dysfunction childhood than I did.  Yet, he managed to make me laugh while reading about his terrible childhood.  How?  The man is a national treasure.  Go out and read every friggin book he’s ever written, and do it now, but please start off with Running With Scissors first.
  21. Haven Kimmel – I never read a funny-yet-dysfunctional memoir written in a child’s voice.  I was just blown away when I read it, and you will be,too - A Girl Named Zippy.  Haven writes everything from poetry, children’s books, literary fiction, memoirs, fantasy, religion, and soon she is releasing a horror novel called The Farm.  I CAN NOT WAIT.  Just ask yourself what other writers can write in this many genres and still be that fabulous?
  22. Green Bags – Best tv infomercial product ever?  Perhaps, perhaps. 
  23. Keeping Up With The Kardashians - Have you ever seen a family more willing to self promote themselves.  I swear I think Kris used that wedding pic with Ryan Seacrest in it just to create a buzz.  You have to appreciate their efforts, no matter how annoying and fake it all really is.
  24. Donnie Darko - Time travel and Jake Gyllenhall.  Do I need to say more?
  25. Ewan McGregor and Moulin Rouge - The singing, the dancing, and my movie star boyfriend Ewan McGregor in love and all earnest.  Who knew he and Nicole Kidman could actually sing?  This movie is more visual than emotional for me, but I love it more each time I see it.  Ditto for Ewan.
  26. Eminem and The Real Slim Shady.  Wow, what a song, a video, a moment in time, and a performer.  I couldn’t get enough of him during the first part of the decade. 
  27. Moby – Love the way he got success by having all his songs in commercials. 
  28. The Sopranos – Sadly, I’ve never seen the last season of show.  I know, I know!  I’m getting there, but what I’ve seen was FANTASTIC, and all my Italian relatives love it, too.  Who doesn’t really? 
  29. Six Feet Under - Dark, dysfunctional, and totally relatable.  God, how I miss Nate.
  30. Patrick Dempsey (Aka McDreamy) and his hair making a comeback – I’d say Grey’s Anatomy, but it got real stupid once Isiah Washington left.  Loved Patrick in Can’t Buy Me Love.  I just love him as McDreamy.  Ah, McDreamy, you make me happy!  I wish for a Neuro Surgeon as hot as you. 
  31. The Girls Next Door – I have no idea how or why I started watching, but once I did I was hooked.  Not a huge fan of the new girlfriends, but who could really replace Bridget, Holly and Kendra?  I wish I knew Bridget in real life, she knows how to plan a party and gift.  Got some mad skills I want to master.
  32. Children of Men – It doesn’t matter that it’s star Clive Owen is hot, or that the plot is fantastic and futuristic yet totally believable.  This movie is all about that last action sequence being filmed in one single take.  I think it is like 20 minutes long. 
  33. Reeces Puffs Cereal - Yummiest cereal ever, and not terribly fattening, either.
  34. Battlestar Galactica - Katee Sackhoff, you played the hell out of Starbuck.  Miss you girl!
  35. Family Guy - Is there nothing they won’t make fun of?  I just laugh and laugh. 
  36. Kid Rock - Not only is he a great musician, a true music fan, but he is one charitable dude.  I have inside scoop and he just rocks for so many other reasons besides musical ones.
  37. American Idol - Thankfully the next season hasn’t started yet so I can include it on my list.  I’m done watching after seeing Paula booted, but I had some great times watching.  I love to sing, I love shows about singing, and I can’t help but notice exactly who has the most success from this decade – AI singers.  What a show, and I’m sorry to have to step away from it. 
  38. TomKat and the Couch Incident - Never could stand Tom Cruise off-screen and after the spring and summer of 2005, not a soul questioned my trepidation.  That dude kills me.
  39. Sawyer from LOST – Who knew being bad could be so good for a man.  Love him, love him, love him.
  40. Alice Seabold – Who would have believed a rape survivor would publish two fantastic novels about rape and have one of those novels become a major motion picture?  Plus, she was Lucky enough to actually identify, prosecute and convict her real life rapist.  Side note: I haven’t seen The Lovely Bones yet, but I’m very interested in Peter Jackson’s vision & agree with him for chosing to take the rape, murder and dismemberment off-screen.  I’m more interested in the rest of the story, anyway. 
  41. The Dixie Chicks – They were fantastic yet they got a real bum deal because one of them spoke her opinion.  Big frakkin’ deal!  Look at what other singers get away with these days – rape, domestic violence.  Such a shame, and I miss them terribly!
  42. Kill Bill I and II - I’m not sure which one I like better, the bloody crazy violence of the first film or the tender moments of the second one.  Why the hell hasn’t Tarantino come out with a cool box set?  I’ve been waiting patiently for years now, YEARS!
  43. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Read this on vaction a few years back.  He had me at Wonder Boys, but hello gorgeous.  I never thought a person could write a book about jewish culture, comic books and magic so well. 
  44. Napster – It was fun while it lasted.  I loved the idea of just getting one song rather than buying the whole album.  But by the time iTunes rolled around, I was sick of the novelty.  I feel the iPod has killed the album, so you’ll see no shout outs to either on this list.
  45. Gladiator – I am not sure what I enjoyed most, my big boy Russel Crowe’s acting, Joaquin Phoenix almost stealing the film from Crowe, or sitting in the airport during the Oscars and hearing Elizabeth Taylor announce Gladiator in the most sing-song way and everyone laughing about it.
  46. Lindsay Lohan is a Firecrotch - I’ll never be able to watch any movie of hers again without thinking this.  Best TMZ episode, ever.  I can think of no name worse than calling someone a Firecrotch.
  47. Pine scented reed diffusers - Thanks for allowing to me to fool myself into thinking my fake tree is the real thing.
  48. Inglorious Bastards – Thank god I saw this film last week.  It wasn’t what I expected, and it was way better than I could ever imagine it would be.  I have a special place in my heart for war movies.
  49. Flat Screen TV’s – Who knew watching movies at home could even be enjoyable?  My 40 inches makes it tolerable.  Thank you for helping out an unemployed movie fanatic who only got to see three movies in theatres this entire year. 
  50. Crack is Whack I know it is Whitney, I know.
  51. Hot Mess - I was so sick of seeing this as profile names on MySpace.  Still, it was fun to hear someone on reality tv be called this.
  52. The 40 Year Old Virgin – Back when I wasn’t sick of these buddy comedies with outrageous plots, this little gem showed up and rocked my socks off.  I especially enjoy the little indian co-worker listing all the dirty names for sex.  OMG! 
  53. Jennifer Weiner – Bringing love to fat chicks everywhere. 
  54. The Jane Austen Book Club – Bringing love to Jane Austen and book clubs. 
  55. The Time Traveler’s Wife – Bringing love to time travel.
  56. Gossip Girl - Bringing love to rich upper east side New York prep school kids.  XOXO! 
  57. The Real Housewives – Bringing love to rich, insecure, plastic, catty, crazy and immature housewives who have way too much free time on their hands.
  58. Fergie and The Black Eyed Peas – Getting better with age. 
  59. Life With My Sister Madonna – Finally, the world hears just exactly how rotten she was to the people closest to her. 
  60. Juno – Oh Diablo Cody, I wish you would stick to projects closer to your masterpiece.
  61. OMG Best abbreviation, ever!
  62. They keep me rollin’ – I actually heard my eleven year old sing this to himself last week.  If he knows it, everyone knows it.  
  63. That’s How I Roll – Also a gem of a catch phrase.
  64. Mr. Darcy – No, the new one, Mark Darcy.  Oh, how I love thee, let me count the ways.
  65. Bridget Jones Diary Is there a more perfect story about a chubby british single career girl who got a lawyer to love her, just as she is?
  66. Yes We Can – It was great until it wasn’t.  When he wrote a letter to Michael Jackson’s family, I lost respect.  Ugh.  And I’m still scared of national healthcare, even if I’m a Democrat, darn it.
  67. Friends ending – Why, oh why?  It was so good.  Thank goodness for reruns.
  68. Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Even though I can’t stand the parents, this show was fantastic the first two years, then fame ruined it.  Long before every tabloid in town slammed Kate or Jon, I was saying that the show had gone to far and needed to end.  I wish those Gosselin kids the best of luck with those two moronic parents. 
  69. Yeah! – Usher, you rock! 
  70. Almost Famous – Best “ode to rock music” movie, ever.  And, it is semi-autobiographical.  And, it won an OSCAR!  Where are you Cameron Crowe?  Come out, come out, where ever you are!
  71. Red Carpet Events - Better, more beautiful, and definitely more interesting dresses.  Remember when the most talked about dress back in the day was a Bob Macki?  Ladies these days know how to rock it on the red.
  72. Get a Mac Commercials How cool is Justin Long for sticking with them?  My favorite is the latest, when the “P.C. Guy” is wearing all the old back-in-the-day outfits.  
  73. School of Rock - Love this film, and we even have a School of Rock in Michigan.  I so want to go to one of their concerts.  Something about kids playing rock music drives me mad.
  74. Kathy Griffin - The girl knows how to pull herself up by those boot straps.  What a comeback, all by poking fun at herself while poking fun at others. 
  75. Hey Ya!  – OutKast, you do make me want to shake it like a Polaroid picture.
  76. Atonement – I am ashamed to have to admit here that I haven’t read the book.  However, when I saw C-U-N-T typed on that huge movie screen, I can assure all of you that the audience gasped audibly.  Men in the 1940s did not write letters like that back then to their girlfriends. 
  77. Missy Elliot - You gave me the dirtiest song to shake my ass to (Work It!) and I loved every minute I spent dancing to it.  Thank you for causing me to tear my skirt up to there on accident one very drunken birthday night.
  78. David Sedaris – You rock my world with each book I read of yours. 
  79. How To Save A Life – What The Fray did for the season ender of Grey’s Anatomy was amazing.  Best episode, hands down, ever, and partly due to this song. 
  80. Rachel McAdams getting hit by that bus in Mean Girls – You gotta love her spunk by still going to the dance afterwards.
  81. Michael Moore – How could I not love you?
  82. 8 Mile and Lose Yourself – Not only did metro Detroit get a rude awakening by this movie and song, but Eminem got Oscar cred.  Awesome!
  83. Legalized Gay Marriage in the U.S. – How can any of us judge others the right to love one another legally and be entitled to make legal decisions and receive benefits from their spouses? 
  84. The Van Halen reunion tour - I saw grown men openly weep.  It was the only concert I have worn jeans and tennis shoes to, as I knew I could be comfy and no one was going to notice.  All eyes forward on Eddie Van Halen.  Never in my life have I heard a guitar solo so beautiful, so powerful, so emotional.  And I have seen Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Jimmy Page, Angus Young, Geddy Lee, Keith Richards, and most of the other guitar heros live in concert.  To think, that was the first tour Eddie was sober.  I have goosebumps as I type this.   
  85. That’s Hot – So stupid, but so a part of this decade. 
  86. Miracle on the Hudson - Honestly, as a former flight attendant I was trained that a plane could landing safely, float, and we could evacuate an entire plane on the wings.  I didn’t believe it was possible until I saw it with my own eyes.  All I can say is WOW!
  87. Argyle Making a Comeback – Loved in way back when and I love it now.  Got a cute argyle sweater waiting for me for Christmas Eve.
  88. Tramp Stamps Totally against them, but love hearing people make fun of them.
  89. In Da Club - 50 Cent (aka Fiddy) you made so many clubs nights (And, car rides) much more fun. 
  90. Reese Witherspoon – Girl, I didn’t think you could top the work you did in the 90s.  My heart is breaking for you since you and Jake broke up, but hold that Oscar of yours every night and it’ll help. 
  91. Chuck Palahniuk – You just keep turning em out and amazing me year after year. 
  92. Bald Britney Spears - I feel cruel for saying it now, but when it was happening, I couldn’t get enough off it. 
  93. Global Warming – People, it is real, and more of you are realizing it.  I don’t know how the rest of you refuse to believe in it. 
  94. George Clooney Looking good.  I have forgiven you for making Ocean’s 12 and Ocean’s 13 since you came back to ER for the last season.  We have been in love since The Facts of Life, Roseanne and Sisters.  I can’t wait to see Up in the Air, because I think you are getting an Oscar nomination for this.  I love it when you act seriously rather than act with friends or to have fun. 
  95. Love is a Mix Tape Who knew a book by a nerdy rock critic about his wife’s sudden death and the mix tapes they made could be so damn good?
  96. Hot In Herre – Nelly, you always made us want to take off all our clothes at my annual Halloween parties. 
  97. My Big Fat Greek Wedding – Having an ethnic family of my own, I could relate.  Turns out so could the rest of the world, too. 
  98. Watching local news anchor woman in High Def – Never had I expected having this much fun watching the news.  OH.DEAR.LORD.  I never want to be filmed in High Def, NEVER!
  99. The March of The Penguins Have you ever felt more sad for an animal?  I mean, come on, no other animal has it this bad?  I can’t take those dead penguins just laying on the ground, frozen. 
  100. 9/11 – Will we ever forget those images?  Those falling bodies?  The unity the country felt for a few months?  I went to Ground Zero nine months later and spent three hours crying in the rain.  I can assure you that you would have done the exact same thing. 
Posted in 2000s, 9/11, American Idol, Arrested Development, Augusten Burroughs, Battlestar Galactica, Bridget Jones Diary, Chuck Palahniuk, Eddie Van Halen, Ewan McGregor, George Clooney, Glee, gossip girl, Haven Kimmel, Jane Austen, Jennifer Weiner, Jon & Kate Plus 8, Keeping up with the Kardashians, LOST, Mad Men, pop culture, Quenton Tarantino, reality tv, Sex and the City, The 100 Best Things of the Decade, The Office Tagged: 100 Best of the 2000's, 100 Best of the Decade, Best of the 2000's, Best of the Decade, Breaking news, entertainment, humor, life, news, personal, sarcasm, tv

Source: thegirlfromtheghetto.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment